Monday, March 29, 2010

Please and Thank You

I worked just shy of 12 hours on Sunday...on my big girl heels...on my "day off."

It was a long day after one of those weeks when you're irrationally mad at Tuesday for not being Friday.

Commuting to work Monday morning I was a little huffy. A Sunday-less weekend is just not a weekend at all. It's pizza with all the cheese scrapped off. It's an *NSYNC concert in 2000 when Lance Bass was too sick to perform. (I was one irate 14-year-old.)

After hanging my coat and settling into my desk Monday morning, I made a concerted effort to not be productive right away. Take that, work!

Eleven minutes later, after checking Facebook and reading labuonaforchetta.wordpress.com, I was all but desperate to jump into work emails. The first was from one of the coordinators who worked with me on Sunday's event. He had written it from his Blackberry after 1:00am, just after the event ended.

From the bottom of my heart thank you Vanessa. You made my short yet very stressful job here a heck of a lot easier, and you made me look better at my job than I probably am. Seriously it was a pleasure to meet and work with you, and hopefully our paths cross again some day.

And just like that I could care less that I had scrapped the cheese off my weekend. I was thankful for his extremely sweet (slightly intense) thank you and that made all those unpaid hours worth it.

It felt good and even better to send him a response, gushing a few sincere thank yous right back. You can never underestimate the power of just being nice.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout out again! No really, THANK YOU from the bottom of my doughnut-loving, rain- hating, coffee-guzzling, tired-already-even-though-it's-only-tuesday heart. Keep on being awesome.

    ReplyDelete