Thursday, September 2, 2010

Manly Men

After four days and five nights in Portland, Oregon I came to one very sure conclusion: I dig West Coast guys.

To unfairly stereotype, they're nothing like the big city boys I've gotten used to- with their Molton Brown lemongrass shave wax and professionally manicured nails.

Out West they're all hunky, tall, broad-shouldered, mountain-sun-kissed manly men with carabiners clipped to their keys and hobbies like whitewater rafting or, I don't know, lifting heavy things. Exhibit A: Chris Sharma, big deal rock climber and dreamboat


Back in New York this week I shared my observation with a group of coworkers. The men got instantly defensive and asked me to list one thing an Oregon boy can do that they cant.

Change a tire?

Both sheepishly admitted to never having done it."BMW assistance is a button away and I probably wouldn't do it right." Point proved.

Full disclosure: As much as I swear up and down that my type is rugged and outdoorsy with a pinch of hippie, the last handful of guys I've dated have been buttoned up bankers/lawyers. So the suit does it for me too. If he hikes on the weekends and is big and strong enough to pick me up and throw me, even better.

4 comments:

  1. Throw you? Orange to Apple is gettin' a little racy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol. that's what Vanessa Martinez said. But I didn't mean it that way (or maybe I subconsciencly did.) jeez, racy is right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha yup, definitely what I thought. I read that last part and thought, woa there cowgirl, that sounds dangerous...and freaky! haha

    Nice post, btw. Boo for bankers.

    ReplyDelete