Sunday, February 28, 2010

Tia Vanessa

Most rites of passage into adulthood make me cringe.

I'm secretly angry with my Dad for insisting that I do my own taxes this year instead of passing it off to my parents' accountant at home.

I finally realized/accepted (about 2 years late) that my mother is no longer scheduling my doctors' appointments so unless I want my teeth and other body parts to fall out I should probably find some physicians in NYC.

A mattress is far more expensive than I ever anticipated...as are friends' weddings, friends' new babies and the ten thousand events surrounding them.

But, there is one "adult" event that has me beaming with excitement. I'm going to be an aunt!

In less than two months, my brother, Diego, and his wife, Laura, are expecting Georgiana. This is my parents' first grandchild, my first niece, and really, we're all beyond ready to meet her. However, I have to admit, the title "aunt" is pretty daunting. As the youngest of four, I was always the baby. In fact, I'm still rocking the kiddie table at family functions and holiday meals. I babysat a handful of times in my teens, but I have very limited experience with infants. Georgiana will live down the street from me, and I plan on spending pretty much all my down time with her (as she'll likely need a super cool aunt to vent her frustrations to). They say it comes naturally to moms. Does it come naturally to aunts?

Either way, I can't wait to meet you George. Even if becoming an aunt confirms that I'm getting old.

1 comment:

  1. Hate to break it to you, but I will be the cool tia. :)

    ReplyDelete